Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Taking Wing: Virtuosity & Vanity or Identity & Passion


I chanced upon a couple of my reflections from earlier but quite different times and circumstances. And, although they could appear conflicting, they nonetheless appeared to me to complement each other well--well enough that I placed them together among the information on my Face Book page. I thought I should do the same here.

  • Like Icarus, we would fly closer to the sun, but consumed by our virtuosity and vanity, we forget we have but waxen wings to carry us there. Better we should find peace and joy in who we are, and what we can do, in the light and the life the sun provides.

  • Yet, sometimes we just must do it (whatever it is), and do it with passion, because that is who we are, because it’s what we’re called to do, because it’s our journey. And we know it because it speaks to us from some unknown place at the core of our identity, and that is assurance enough. To ignore it is to become in some important way lost to who we are—and to leave a hole in the affairs of our time where we and our work were supposed to be.
Greg

No comments: