Sunday, August 5, 2012

"The Gift" (of Hafiz) Keeps Giving

 It's Sunday morning with it's quiet time, reflections and contemplations. And after some favorite Psalms, I was drawn back to another old source of insight and epiphany: The Gift*, a book of poems by Hafiz. As with other favorite books of poetry left unconsulted too long, it offered new understandings from poems I'd always liked, but also from some I'd spent less time with. From The Gift:


The Stairway of Existence

We
Are not
In pursuit of formalities
Or fake religious
Laws,

For through the staircase of existence
We have come to God's
Door.

We are
People who need to love, because
Love is the soul's life,

Love is simply creation's greatest joy.

Through
The staircase of existence,
O, through the staircase of existence, Hafiz,

Have
You now come,
Have all now come to
The Beloved's
Door.


Love is the Funeral Pyre

Love is
The funeral pyre
Where I have laid my living body.

All the false notions of myself
That once caused fear, pain,

Have turned to ash
As I neared God.

What has risen
From the tangled web of thought and sinew

Now shines with jubilation
Through the eyes of angels
And screams from the guts of
Infinite existence
Itself.

Love is the funeral pyre
Where the heart must lay
It's body.


In Need of the Breath

My heart
Is an unset jewel
Upon the tender night
Yearning for it's dear old Friend.

When the Nameless One debuts again
Ten thousand facets of being unfurl wings
And reveal such a radiance inside
I enter a realm divine...

My heart is an unset jewel
upon existence
Waiting for the Friend's touch.

Tonight
My heart is an unset ruby
Offered bowed and weeping to the Sky.

I am dying in these cold hours
For the resplendent glance of God.

I am dying
Because of a divine remembrance
Of who I really am.

Hafiz, tonight,
Your soul
Is a brilliant reed instrument

In need of the breath of
Christ.


The Heart is Right

The
Heart is right to cry

Even when the smallest drop of light,
Of love,
Is taken  away.

Perhaps you may kick, moan, scream
In a dignified
Silence,

But you are so right
To do so in any fashion

Until God returns
To You.


Startled By God

Not like
A lone beautiful bird,

These poems now rise in great white flocks
Against my mind's vast hills

Startled by God

Breaking a branch

When His foot
Touches earth

Near me.


*The Gift, Poems by Hafiz, the Great Sufi Master, as interpreted by Daniel Ladinsky (1999)

No comments: