Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Still More From Oliver's Red Bird


After concluding that I had mined Mary Oliver's Red Bird* for all the meaning it had for me, I have come back again and again and found more. Here are three more poems that speak to me now.


Desire

So long as I am hanging on
I want to be young and noble.
I want to be bold.

So said the great buck, named Swirler,
as he stepped like a king past me
the week before he was arrow-killed.

And so said the wren in the bush
after another hard year
of love, of nest-life, of singing.

And so say I
every morning, just before sunrise,
wading the edge of the dark ocean.


One Day in August

It is time now, I said,
for the deepening and quieting of the spirit
among the flux of happenings.

Something had pestered me so much
I thought my heart would break.
I mean the mechanical part.

I went down in the afternoon
to the sea
which held me, until I grew easy.

About tomorrow, who knows anything.
Except that it will be time, again,
for the deepening and quieting of the spirit.


So Every Day

So every day
I was surrounded by the beautiful crying forth
of the ideas of God,

one of which was you.


* Red Bird, Poems by Mary Oliver (2008)

No comments: