Sunday, September 18, 2011

More Merwin

I've been too long from the thought-provoking poetry of W.S Merwin. As often unsettling as comforting or peaceful, it is nonetheless a welcome, special friend who feels he can share it all with you, as if you understood and cared. I'm pleased to be back in his company for a time.

Merwin is a different take on things, a different feel. Sometimes you don't want to go there, but others, nothing will do but his verse. But it has changed a lot as the seasons of his life have changed--not in his brilliance, introspection, command of language, or his uncapitalized, unpunctuated verse, but what life has offered him or placed on his heart at that time. He's also one of those poets that it helps to read his bio, the key influences and experiences of his life; it adds insight and depth of understanding, I think.

All three of these poems come from his Pulitzer Prize winning collection, The Shadow of Sirius (2009). 


A Momentary Creed

I believe in the ordinary day
that is here at this moment and is me

I do not see it going its own way
but I never saw how it came to me

it extends beyond whatever I may
think I know and all that is real to me

it is the present that it bears away
where has it gone when it has gone from me

there is no place I know outside today
except for the unknown all around me

the only presence that appears to stay
everything that I call mine it lent me

even the way that I believe the day
for as long as it is here and is me


Heartland

From the beginning it belonged to distance
as the blue color of the mountains does

and though it existed on a map somewhere
and might be discovered by chance
and even be recognized perhaps
at an odd moment

it survived beyond
what could be known at the time
in its archaic
untaught language
that brings the bees to the rosemary

many years after it had been found
its true name remained
on the other side of knowledge

yet it was still there
like a season that has changed
but appears in the light

in the unspoken morning


One of the Butterflies

The trouble with pleasure is the timing
it can overtake me without warning
and be gone before I know it is here
it can stand facing me unrecognized
while I am remembering somewhere else
in another age or someone not seen
for years and never to be seen again
in this world and it seems that I cherish

only now a joy I was not aware of
when it was here although it remains
out of reach and will not be caught or named
or called back and if I could make it stay
as I want to it would turn to pain.


No comments: