Sunday, August 7, 2011

Play of the Hand

Most often we do not get to choose the cards we are dealt; but we do get to choose how we play them. Its all about the play of the hand. And its often spiritual guidance that best directs us. Some selected guidance that speaks to me right now:
Jeremiah 6:16 
Stand by the crossroads and watch,
   and ask for the ancient paths,
Where the good way is,
   and walk in it. 
Isaiah 43:18 
Do not call to mind the former things,
Or ponder things of the past.
Behold, I will do something new.
Now it will spring forth;
Will you not be aware of it? 
Psalm 73, Excerpts 
My flesh and my heart may fail,
But God is the strength of my heart
   and my portion forever... 
[A]s for me, the nearness of God is my good;
I have made the Lord God my refuge. 
Psalm 139, Excerpts 
You scrutinize my path and my lying down,
And are intimately acquainted with all my ways.
Even before there is a word on my tongue,
You know it all... 
For You formed my inward parts;
You weaved me in my mother's womb.
I will give you thanks
   because I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works,
And my soul knows it very well. 
Psalm 23, Excerpts 
The Lord is my Shepherd,
   I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.
He restores my soul. 
Psalm 131, Excerpts 
Surely I have composed and quieted my soul;
Like a weaned child rests upon his mother,
My soul is like a weaned child within me. 
Psalm 16, Excerpts 
The Lord is the portion
   of my inheritance and my cup;
You support my lot.
The lines have fallen to me
   in pleasant places;
Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. 
You will make known to me the path of life;
In your presence, is fulness of joy.

No comments: