Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Dark and Light of Faith and Love


The Heart is Right*

The heart is right
To cry

Even when the smallest drop of light,
Of love,
Is taken away.

Perhaps you may kick, moan, scream
In dignified
Silence.

But you are so right
To do so in any fashion

Until God returns
To you.


Brave in That Holy War*

You have done well
In the contest of madness.

You were brave in that holy war.

You have all the honorable wounds
of one who has tried to find love

Where the beautiful bird does not drink...

Come morning
I will kneel by your side and feed you.
I will so gently
Spread open your mouth

And let you taste something of the
Sacred mind and life.

Surely
there is something wrong
With your ideas of
God

If you think
If you think our beloved would not be so
Tender.


Just You and Me*

The closer
I get to You, Beloved,
The more I can see
It is just You and me alone
In this
World.

I hear
A knock at my door,
Who else could it be,
So I rush without brushing
My hair.

For too many nights
I have begged for Your
Return.
And what
Is the use of vanity
At this late hour, at this divine season,
That has now come to my folded
Knees.

If your love letters are true dear God,
I will surrender myself to
Who you keep saying
I am.


*from The Gift (1999), poetry ascribed to Hafez, as freely interpreted by Daniel Ladinsky.

No comments: