Saturday, January 1, 2011

Unfriending Facebook


It's 2011, a new year, and I've concluded facebook just doesn't work for me. It felt wrong for me from the beginning, but it has taken some time to sort it all out and remove myself. I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. But most of my friends are not on facebook. Those who are seldom post anything--although there are exceptions. And for those few old friends who have found me through facebook, any real communication has been through the message board, e-mail.

So I am removing myself from facebook friendships--unfriending facebook, more accurately--and all the newsfeed and wall communications that go with it. But I will leave my facebook page, info and e-mail address up and open so old friends may still find me that way.

I am truly hoping no offense is taken; surely none is intented. But while it's nice to find and catch up with old friends, the facebook thing is just not that for me.

I also recognize that this could be read as cold or aloof. I am sorry if that's how it reads to you. I'm just trying to explain. But the simple point is that I am just not one of those people at home on facebook. I will welcome anyone who wants to contact me, catch up or follow up, through the more personal, more substantive process of just e-mailing me.

No comments: