Saturday, January 23, 2010

Kindness, and some other words

Mary Oliver, in Thirst (2006):

I.
Belief isn't always easy.
But this much I have learned--
if not enough else--
to live with my eyes open.

I know what everyone wants
is a miracle.
This wasn't a miracle.
Unless, of course, kindness--

as now and again
some rare person has suggested--
is a miracle.
As surely it is.

* * *

Hafiz, as rendered by Daniel Ladinsky, in The Gift (1999):

I.
What we speak
Becomes the house we live in...
Think what can happen
When the tongue says to kindness,
"I will be your slave."

* * *

II.
Now, why not consider
a lasting truce between yourself and God.

Now is the time to understand
That all your ideas of right and wrong
Were just training wheels
To be laid aside
When you finally live
With veracity
And love.

* * *

III.
You are
A hole in a flute
That God's breath moves through.
Listen to this music.

No comments: