Sunday, December 6, 2009

Love Is No Game

I first read this on a poster on a friend's wall in Okinawa 41 years ago. It was written by the 20th-century Indian spiritual master Meher Baba, quoting, in part, the 14th-century Sufi poet Hafiz:

True love is no game for the faint-hearted and weak,
It is born of strength and understanding.
[And quoting Hafiz,]
Only a person with his life up his sleeve
Dares kiss the threshold of love.

I was so taken by it--mesmerized, really--that I spent quite some time trying to learn more of both men and their writings. And I have carried those verses with me all these years, unfailingly conscious of them. And as my faith journey carried me home, as I was given over to Christ anew, these words carried no less truth or meaning for me. For whether we are wrestling with the challenges--the joys, frustrations or pain--of love in interpersonal relationships, or the identity-challenging or changing deeper waters of spiritual love--agape love, unitive Love--this wisdom serves us well. And somehow, it seems to offer more as we experience more, as we understand more, as we grow more intimate with Him.

[Posted to Hyde Park's Corner and, in part, to facebook]



3 comments:

Sheila said...

Greg, I enjoyed your posting on Hyde Park's Corner. In case you aren't familiar with Sheriar Books, it is an online bookstore that carries books by and about Meher Baba and other great spiritual masters. The url is sheriarbooks.org

Wishing you well,
Sheila Krynski

Unknown said...

Your post is thoughtful and thought provoking.
Thank you.

Greg Hudson said...

Thank you, Jeanne.