Sunday, January 18, 2009

Three More Poems, and Jesus

 
 
A Tethered Falcon 1

My heart sits on the Arm of God
Like a tethered falcon
Suddenly unhooded.

I am now blessedly crazed
Because my Master's Astounding Effulgence
Is in constant view.

My piercing eyes,
Which have searched every world
For Tenderness and Love,
Now lock on the Royal Target--
The Wild Holy One
Whose Beauty Illuminates Existence.

My soul endures a magnificent longing.

I am a tethered falcon
With great wings and sharp talons poised,
Every sinew taught, like a sacred bow,
Quivering at the edge of my self
And Eternal Freedom,

Though still held in check
By a miraculous
Divine Golden Cord.

Beloved,
I am waiting for you to free me
Into Your Mind
And Infinite Being.
I am pleading in absolute helplessness
To hear, finally, your Words of Grace:
Fly! Fly into Me!

Who can understand
Your sublime Nearness and Separation?



A Wild, Holy Band 1

Your breath is a sacred clock, my dear--
Why not use it to keep time with God's Name?

And if your feet are ever mobile
Upon this ancient drum, the earth,
O, do not let your precious movements
Come to naught.

Let your steps dance silently
To the rhythm of the Beloved's Name!

My fingers and my hands
Never move through empty space,
For there are
Invisible golden lute strings all around,
Sending Resplendent Chords
Throughout the Universe.

I hear the voice
Of every creature and plant,
Every world and sun and galaxy--
Singing the Beloved's Name!

I have awakened to find violin and cello,
flute, harp and trumpet,
Cymbal, bell and drum--
All within me!
From head to toe, every part of my body
Is chanting and clapping!

...For with constant remembrance of God,
One's whole body will become
A Wonderful and Wild,
Holy Band!



Forever Dance 1

I am happy before I even have a reason.

I am full of Light even before the sky
Can greet the sun and moon.

Dear companions,
We have been in love with God
For so very, very long.

What can Hafiz now do but Forever
Dance!





Jesus

From the Gospel of John, Jesus:

No one can come to me unless the Father who sent Me draws him (John 6:44). My teaching is not mine but His who sent me (John 7:16). I am the good shepherd; I know My own and My own know me...My sheep hear my voice, and they follow me...I and the Father are One [essence, unity] (John 10: 14, 27, 30). I am the light of the world; he who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life (John 8:12). If you abide in my Word, you are truly disciples of Mine; and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free (John 8:31-32).

From his letter to the Philippians, the Apostle Paul:
...work out your salvation with [fear, awe, reverence] and trembling; for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure (Phil. 2: 12-13). For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Jesus Christ (Phil. 1:6).

1 Renderings in English of Hafiz’ poetry by Daniel Ladinsky, I Heard God Laughing: Poems of Hope and Joy (1996, 2006).

No comments: