Saturday, December 20, 2008

Walking with God: Two Poems, a Saying, and Jesus


My Sweet, Crushed Angel1

You have not danced so badly, my dear,
Trying to hold hands with the Beautiful One.

You have waltzed with great style,
My sweet, crushed angel,
To have ever neared God’s Heart at all.

Our Partner is notoriously difficult to follow,
And even His best musicians are not always easy
To hear.

So what if the music has stopped for awhile.

So what
If the price of admission to the Divine
Is out of reach tonight.

So what, my dear,
If you do not have the ante to gamble for Real Love.

The mind and the body are famous
For holding the heart ransom,
But Hafiz knows the Beloved’s eternal habits.

Have patience,

For He will not be able to resist your longing
For long.

You have not danced so badly, my dear,
Trying to kiss the Beautiful One.

You have actually waltzed with tremendous style,
O my sweet,
O my sweet, crushed angel.


Skinning Your Knees on God1

Little by little,
You will turn into stars.

Even then, my dear,
You will only be
A crawling infant,
Still skinning your knees on God.

Little by little,
You will become like
The whole sweet, amorous Universe
In Love
On a wild spring night.

And become so free
In a wonderful, secret
And pure Love
That flows
From a conscious,
One-pointed,
Infinite need for Light.

Even then, my dear,
The Beloved will have fulfilled
Just a fraction,
Just a fraction!
Of a promise
He wrote upon your heart.

When your soul begins
To ever bloom and laugh
And spin in Eternal Ecstacy—

O little by little,
You will lose yourself in God.


Love Is No Game2

[But] Love is no game
For the faint hearted or weak;
It is born of strength and understanding.
[and quoting Hafiz:]
“Only a person with his life up his sleeve
Dares cross the threshold of Love.”


Walking with Jesus

From Jesus:

If anyone would come after Me, let him deny himself, take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wishes to save his life [or soul] shall lose it; but whoever loses his life [or soul] for My sake shall find it. For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul. (Mat. 16:24)

I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their words, that they may all be one; even as you, Father, are in Me, and I in You, that they also may be in Us...(John 17:20)

From 1John 4:16:

And we have come to know and have believed the Love which God has for us.God is Love, and the one who abides in Love abides in God, and God abides in Him.

From the Apostle Paul:

For through the law I died to the law, that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. (Gal. 2:19)

Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. (Col. 3:2)


1 Renderings in English of Hafiz’ poetry by Daniel Ladinsky, I Heard God Laughing: Poems of Hope and Joy (1996, 2006).
2 Saying of Meher Baba, in part quoting Hafiz.

No comments: